If the weather is bad, they will announce by 9:00 AM if the event will be canceled. You can call the Linwood YMCA anytime after 9 if you want to make sure if the event is still on. 816-923-5675.
The Linwood Family YMCA is looking for volunteers to assist with their Martin Luther King Jr., Day of Service project. This project is to celebrate the life and legacy of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. and continue his work by growing appreciation for the diversity that individuals bring to the community. This is a free community event, with free food provided. Volunteers are needed to help facilitate five group activities that will be conducted during the event. Volunteers will also help with set up and clean up of the event.
The group activities are as follows:
1. Prepare Survival Kits – The lesson here is that everyone is human no matter the circumstance.
2. Make Canvas Paintings – Bringing awareness to childhood disease/cancer.
3. Flower Pot Decorating – Domestic Violence Awareness
4. Flower Power Messages – The art of empowering. Positive messages will be written on paper, and they will be put in jars
5. Letter Decorations – You are somebody! Using small wooden letters, participants will describe what that letter means to them, or how it describes them. They will then be attached to string to be hung up either in the center, or they may take them home.
Any youth volunteers under the age of 12 must be accompanied by an adult over 18 years of age.
Waitlist: If an event is full volunteers can join the waitlist. If a spot opens up, you are automatically added to the attending list in the order you joined the waitlist and you will receive a notification message from Meetup. Please be firm with your commitment, even if it is for the waitlist. Please remove yourself from the waitlist if you do make other plans so the next available person can join in the event of a last minute cancellation.